Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Letters in a different light

Learning Letters In a Different Light

I've been doing a lot of fun, "Yell It Out Loud" Flash Cards with the girls lately. We've been focusing on letters. Miss S knows them all, and Little Miss I is finally showing an interest in getting to know letters. Today, I wanted to do something totally different where I could sit down, and have some one-on-one time with 'I'.

Here is what I came up with, and I'm quite pleased with it:)

I wrote the alphabet in order on a transparency. Then, I mixed up some translucent letters below, according to their row, but mixed up. 
Here's how it looked on the wall: 
Here she is, joining the activity:) 
Concentrating... 
I made the decision to lead this, and to work in order, beginning with "A." She isn't familiar with all of her letters. Plus she tends to say something that sounds like "Elmo" for L,M,N,O. This way, we're able to point to each letter and see and say the alphabet to learn what comes next. I think she was shocked - there are more letters to the alphabet than she used to sing. Hehe:) 
Me: "Do you recognize this letter?" I: Yes, that's "B!"
Me: "Very good! "B" is in this top row, can you find the letter B in the top row, here?"
I: "THERE IT IS!!"

This was fun. Here she is, all done! 
Then she said she wanted to teach me. She mixed up the letters, and we just matched them for fun without having to say what they were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment