Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Fizzy Fun Week

Fizzy Fun Week

Last week we did some activities with salt and ice. This week, we're going to do some art and science with vinegar and baking soda. To start, we did an activity I've been seeing all over Pinterest. They are dissolving rocks. Some people have hid objects in the rocks, we chose not to.

I put a couple drops of food coloring in a bowl and sprinkled baking soda on top. I then added some water and had the girls help me stir. They were so excited to see what color was going to appear. When we got a nice, thick paste, they took the baking soda and water out to form "rocks." 

All day we talked about how we were going to dissolve our baking soda rocks with vinegar. Little I thought it was so cool that dissolve meant that the rocks were going to disappear! A few hours later, when the rocks dried, we took them and dropped them into vinegar. The result was a fizzy, bubbly eruption. They loved it!

Baking soda with hidden food coloring
All mixed up!
I's rock
 S's rock - wow that's blue! 

 D kept saying, WOW, Look! :)


Painting with powder

For this activity, I wondered could we do fizzy painting?? I thought we could paint with colored baking soda and spray with vinegar? I'm not sure, but we're giving it a try.

 I rummaged through my cupboards to see what I could find. Of course, I immediately went to my trusty food coloring first. Then, I saw some raspberry extract, and thought it would be neat if it smelled good. I eventually found a few flavors of Jello and other misc. powdered drink packets to mix in.

After mixing the powder with baking soda, I added some water. The Jello was the best consistency for painting, the powdered drink mixes were very bubbly and a little runny. Here's how the paints looked:


They smelled delicious, so we had to take it in first! As they smelled it, I shared what was in there. Jello mix and flavored drinks with Baking Soda ... Miss S immediately said, "So we can't eat it." Very good.

We started to paint upright, but I made them a little runny, so this wasn't working as I had planned.

Much better ...

Guess who's making a flower:) 
She was so focused - just like a little artist.
Until it was perfect.

Then it was time to spray. I handed over the spray bottles filled with vinegar.

 The paints started to bubble and fizz, and drip down (our old cupcake container).
 Yes, the container says, "Go Pack Go." Unfortunately, they didn't go very far ...
 And, our fizzy rainbow swirl left at the bottom.

This lasted quite a while during nap time. When we were done, sweet little S said, "Was that it?" Yes, that was it my sweetheart, that was it. :( Then, 'I' came to the rescue and said. "That was cool!"

I'm not sure it was that great ... who is ready for SNACK!? LOL

And on to the next activity.

In the past, I've set up this activity for the girls. A bed of Baking Soda with colored vinegar. We've used droppers before, this time, I wanted to use trigger bottles to mix it up a bit. Using colored vinegar in spray bottles only worked when the bottle was set on "stream" rather than mist. 

Here is the set up.
I love how Miss I stood up the entire time for this:) 
 They were squeezing those triggers as fast as they could! And then S would yell, "SWITCH!" and they'd switch bottles.
S even went double-time with a trigger in each hand:)
The activity lasts a lot longer with little droppers. However, this was a lot of fun for them to do - something different.

That was the last fizzy activity for the week. Now to clean the kitchen as I'm sure there is vinegar splattered all over.

1 comment: