Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Get up and Learn; it's Valentine's Day!

Get up and Learn; it's Valentine's Day!

Carrots are Orange and No Time For Flashcards had some great get-up-and-move ideas for Valentine's Day. 

I began by writing the alphabet on some foam hearts we have had for over a year (I could never find the right thing to do with them).

 

On the other side, I wrote different actions such as, "Do a silly dance, or walk on your hands and feet."
We picked a bunch of letters with actions, and placed them in a circle, letter-side up. 
I started the music, and the kids hopped from heart to heart. 
When I stopped the music, they stopped on the heart they were on. 
They would tell me the letter, and then I'd help them read the action. 
S is doing the silly dance - the dance is so much sillier if you stick out your tongue while doing it! 
Looks like someone had to hop up and down, and the other had to walk on all fours! 
D is yelling out "F!"


Here is the game that just blew me away with I-Bell. We started by placing all of the letters out on the floor. I would say a letter (used only the letters that I-Bell needed to work on from the Paper Towel Tube Letter Search) and they would have to find it. 

To challenge S, I started to saying a word, and they would have to find the letter that it begins with. I found that I-Bell is retaining letter sounds too. I didn't realize until now how much we say letter sounds when we talk about letters. This is just awesome. Best of all - they loved it!

1 comment:

  1. Great way to get them moving for their large motor activities and learning at the same time.
    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete