Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

Teaching with Push Lights

I created this game a while back for my son to help him learn his sight words. He was very into flashlights at the time, so I thought he'd be interested in these push lights. Here's how we played:
I took sight words (from the Bob Books we were reading) and simply wrote the words on note cards.
 
Using three words and three lights, I would call out a word, he would point/read that word and then hit the corresponding light.
 
 My daughter was showing a lot of interest in this while we were playing. She wasn't close to reading (at 23 months), but she did enjoy sandpaper letters. Here's a picture of how she played:
I would call out a letter sound, and she would hit the light and then trace that letter.
Sometimes she would just hit the light that corresponded with the letter without tracing, and sometimes she'd get so excited that she'd just hit all three lights. Either way, she seemed to enjoy playing this game more than her brother!
 
My daughter is now 26 months and we're playing this game with sandpaper letters and now sandpaper numbers. My son on the other hand isn't interested in this like I thought he would be. He does love the game Zingo for sight words and begs to play this often before bed.
 
You can play too - and it doesn't have to be words, letter or number learning. What are you working on now with your own children that you could think of playing this with?

No comments:

Post a Comment