Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Love Letters To My Children - Playing Mailbox

I found a little mailbox at Goodwill last winter for $1.00. I thought it had great potential for the kids with the lock and key and the little mail slot.
 
I picked up some rectangular wood slices at the craft store and started by writing little love letters on them to my children. Some from me, some from my husband and I, one to "mail" to their new baby sister, and one to receive from their favorite cousins.
 
I "mailed" one to my daughter ... then invited her to the mailbox to open it.

 
She couldn't wait to use the key!
 (And, if you know me, I'm just loving her focus and fine motor development.) 



She saw something inside and with a giggle, she reached in to grab it.

 
We looked at the note together. I pointed to her name on the front, then my name. We looked at the back and as she touched the words as I read to her, "I love you!" She looked at me with a smile, scooted over to me and gave me a big hug. My heart is so full.

 
My 2 yr old needs her mail to be simple. Since we're focusing on name recognition with her, she just has her first names on the front of hers. My 4 yr old wants to learn everything and is into reading, so his mail includes much more detail.

 (I blurred the info in the photo.)
 
Now that I know these wood slices are a great fit and the kids enjoy them, it's back to the craft store to get more. I plan to paint my next set with chalkboard paint so they can make their own and reuse them over and over again.
 
How do you play with mail?

No comments:

Post a Comment