Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sorry, Sweetie, it's your bedtime!

I can imagine what would have happened last night if I would have said, "Sorry Sweetie, it's bedtime."
First, let me explain that we have a bed time routine: Bath, snack, snuggle/book and go to sleep, or play with the trains with mommy or daddy, snack and then go to sleep. Either way, the routine doesn't include doing whatever D wants whenever he wants. He needs structure and routine so he can know what comes next, and I need it so I can have peace and happiness in our home.
 
However, when my son said, "We need to water the flowers!" last night, I realized he was right. However, we just had bath, snuggle/story time and were on our way to go to sleep.
 
So what do you do?
Daddy took him out to water as I put little L to sleep. Then I looked out the window and saw this! Daddy was laughing, and D was splashing through the puddles in his jammies! 
D ran through the puddles at least 200 times. 
He also did some butt flops and a few rolls! 
D and Daddy walked down the street to return a toy to the neighbor kids. 
Then, it was about 9:00 pm ( thought for sure we'd be going in), and Josh looked at me and said, "Isn't it a little too late for an ice cream truck to be out and about?" We heard the music, and then we saw this!
I guess it's not too late to have your first ice cream from the ice cream truck ... or should I say bike? And, yes, it's OK to have this before you go to bed tonight.  
 
The neighbor kids that Josh and D returned the toy to earlier all came running and got ice cream with us!
I would have missed all of this, and D would have missed these memories. If I would have said, "Sorry, Sweetie, it's your bed time."

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, you are the best mommy and daddy! Dixon and Lucille are by far the luckiest kids to have such loving parents! Papa says "Where's my icescream?"

    ReplyDelete