Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Beginning Reading

I've been trying to get the kids interested in reading. I don't know how to do that with just a pencil and paper. I tried, and I failed. Big time.
 
This week, I think we finally got on track and found the kids' interests. Today alone, we wrote words on the calendar, did flash cards, and sat down and read a book together while pointing out words we recognized from flash cards. Yay!
This was set up on the light table for everyone to do. 
Letters written on gems. 
Since we were going to go to the zoo on Tuesday (when it ended up raining), we've been talking about the "oo" sound when two O's are put together. We've been writing "zoo" and other words with two O's.
 
Above is little D (26 mos) matching the gems to the appropriate letters. I didn't need to help him with this. He sat right down and got to work!
I honestly didn't have him in mind when creating this. He amazes me every day.
Here is S's.
Note: Today we began talking about "Th." Both S and I-Bell kept an interest in it throughout the day. 
I-Bell in deep concentration.
A close-up.
 
The words we used on the light table came from our morning calendar routine. After calendar, I talk about sounds/sight words, then the girls come up and do some writing, or just pretend they are "teacher" for a while:)
 
 
I absolutely LOVE little kids' hand writing♥

No comments:

Post a Comment