Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

A Visual Book to Teach Sentence Parts (6 yrs old)

I bought a Mad Libs book for my niece and I to do together this summer. However, I needed to figure out a way to teach her about the basic parts of a sentence.

For me this was a difficult one to learn because I couldn't "see" it, as a child. My niece (going into 1st grade this year) is a great reader, but I know she'd get frustrated with reading this. And, I know that trying to teach by simply explaining would be impossible for her age.  So ... here's what I came up with:
To help with playing Mad Libs. 

I created a Word document for Nouns and Adjectives. We started with nouns and Clip Art. I did the top row first showing a teacher, school and bus (person, place and a thing). She started thinking of the rest.
We printed her noun pictures and then she cut them out and pasted them in her rows.
This kind of activity is super fun for her. A: she likes to use a computer B: she loves cutting and pasting. 

Here's a close up of all of the nouns she picked herself and organized into each row on her document:
Baby, House, Dog
Doctor, Hospital, X-Ray
Librarian, Library, Book
Farmer, Farm, Cow
Visitor, Zoo, Zebra
The Adjectives page we created on the computer and printed. She selected some of her nouns, and described them to me. As she was using her descriptive words, I typed, and then we printed it off. 

This book has been very empowering for my niece. She's learning at a very fast pace. Can't wait to add more to her book as we explore the rest of the parts of sentences. 

~AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment