Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Exploring fruits and vegatables - and a visual for kids

Here is a visual I created to help my kids eat their fruits and vegetables:

The top is a food pyramid, below are the cards showing the kids a part of the body, and a list of foods that are beneficial to that body part.
 
I made cards for our Brain, Heart, Bones, Teeth, Hair, Skin, Eyes and Muscles.
 
My son is so into muscles and my nieces want to have beautiful, healthy hair so they were excited to try the food on those cards!
 
We hung our visuals on the fridge:
Close-up (a card showing food that's good for your bones).
 
Before introducing the cards, we explored some fruit and vegetables with our senses. Seeing, touching, tasting, smelling ... take a look at all of the education that took place here ...
Let's touch the vegetables and talk about which ones are familiar to you. Are there any you're unsure of? Which ones are fruit and which ones are vegetables?
Then we broke up the veggies and placed them into our own snack bags. 
Showing him the visual card I made, I pointed out that broccoli is good for your hair. He took a big bite out of it, and eventually spit it out. He did eat the cauliflower! 
They were proud of their veggie snack bags! 
Here they are putting their vegetable snack bags into our "grab a snack" drawer. 
Let's pick up the fruit to see how heavy it is. What is it?!
Mmm, smelling the fruit was a lot of fun too!
Peeling and cutting... 
Love that face! 
Peeling and cutting... 
We love the banana slicer! 
The best part was tasting, I'd say .... 
Talking about why we wash fruits and vegetables... 
What fruits and vegetables need to be washed and which ones don't.
Do I like this? Yes!

Our snack drawer is perfect! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment