Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

DIY Smelling Jars

One of the most popular trays on our shelves is our DIY Smelling Jars. Today I'm sharing how I created them:
 
 
I purchased the jars and wooden box at Hobby Lobby. My 4 YO son came with me and picked out the materials. It was important that he was involved in choosing materials as this was going to be his work.
 
 
Inside of our jars I placed a cotton ball with different fragrance oils. We have mint, strawberry, lemon, coconut and vanilla fragrances.

 
Here are two examples I pulled out for show. The tops are marked with red and blue dots (they match a red jar to a blue jar) ...

 
and bottoms are marked with stickers so the children can check their own work. If they did their work correctly, the stickers will match.

25 months 
\
 
Yes, these jars are glass. We are working to switch a lot of our plastic to glass for many reasons. If you're not comfortable with glass, there are many alternatives. In a recent post: Tactile Bean Bag Match, my daughter might inspire you to create some smelling bags, or you could use plastic containers instead.
 
If you're inspired to create your own, please share them with me - I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment