Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Treasure Hunt and Twist on Hide and Seek

 It started the other night. My husband got home, and my son rolled up his check stub, and kept it in his pocket calling it his "map." All night long he would take it out, unroll it, look at it and talk about the lost treasure. He invited me to look for this "treasure" but he had no idea what we were looking for, and we didn't find any of the real stuff.
 
So, I found some left over tokens from Funset.

I hid them in his chair in his room.

(close-up)
I drew the layout of his room (map) and marked an X in the location of the hidden treasure.

He looked at his map and together we figured out where the treasure was hiding.

Then the map turned into a telescope, so he could see the treasure from far away.

Found! He calls them gold doubloons!

Today ... my niece and my son were playing "hide the choo choo." One person would hide the toy train, the other would have to go find where they hid it. I thought they might like the map idea.
This took me 5 minutes to create:

I drew the layout of three of our rooms upstairs and laminated them. I grabbed a bag of "treasure" for hiding and a dry-erase marker.

They couldn't wait to play! She hid the "treasure."

Then sat down to figure out where on the map she needed to place the X.

Found it!

Then we all looked at the map together. Once he figured out where we were in the room, what the objects were on the paper, and where the X was pointing him to ... he couldn't get to the location fast enough!

Found it!! 
 
This was so simple to create, and best of all, the children are learning as they play. Note it doesn't have to be about treasure. We actually went back to "hide the Thomas Train" after a few rounds and continued using the map.
 
Hope you have as much fun as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment