Pages

Friday, July 24, 2015

Exploring Black and White and Color Box3

Today I'm sharing two activities that we explored with black and white paint. One was great for my 4 year old son and the other was perfect for my 2 year old daughter.
 
I previously mentioned our Color Box3 work here. Here's a little work my son did today to create his own shades of color, and how we incorporated Color Box 3.
 
Exploring Black and White and their effects on color.

He wanted to begin with red. He graded the red tablets from darkest to lightest to start. I asked if he knew how to make dark red a bit lighter. He wasn't too sure, so I asked if he thought adding white or adding black to the color would make it lighter. This seemed to be a no-brainer.

He started by adding a little white, then added a little more, and continued until quite a bit of white was added to the red.

He couldn't wait to try mixing the red with black. This time he realized he didn't need much.
Next he worked on blue, mixing it with white, and mixing the next blue with a little black.

This is what his paint tray looked like when he was done. 


Here's how my 2 year old explored black and white:
I purchased some black and white Styrofoam paper from The Dollar Tree. They are very large, so I cut each one into four pieces.

 
 
My daughter (2 yrs) really enjoyed this. She learned that when she mixed black and white, she could create the color gray.
 
The kids were so busy. These were some great activities to extend on our Color Box 3 work.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment