Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Eye Doctor

The other day as I was cleaning out our summer storage bins and  saw how many sun glasses our family owns that we don't wear anymore. I wanted to let the kids use them, but didn't think they would if I just put them in the dress-up bin.
 
This is where the inspiration to play Eye Doctor came from.

Originally I drew shapes on a sheet of paper with crayon. When I realized how big of a hit this was turning out to be, I decided to create some "eye test sheets" on the computer and laminate them.
Later we brought in a computer, which is just a keyboard with a fabric bin.
We also added shape flash cards. The Dr. observes the shapes that the patient needs to study. At the end of each appointment, the patient is fitted for glasses, and sent home with their shape cards. The glasses seem to help the child read their study cards. They practice and come back again and again. 
Colored shape chart.
Black and white shape chart.
 
Letter chart.
 

At 2.5 yrs, D loves this! He doesn't like when I try to sneak pictures during play. We take turns playing the roles of Dr/Patient.

Last night he got out of bed because he needed glasses. So 
we played before bed. He went right to sleep afterward with his big, pink glasses on LOL
 
I hope your children enjoy this as much as mine do!!

1 comment: